How to Find an In-Network Provider
When you need to choose a medical provider, what factors do you consider? Most people might say reputation, their personal history with the doctor—even office location and average wait times. While all these criteria are important, what really helps save money is whether or not a provider is in-network or out-of-network.
In-network providers are doctors, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities with whom the Fund negotiates a discounted rate to charge members when you use their services. Along with offering better rates, in-network providers are required to meet certain criteria and standards for quality of care. This ensures that you receive standardized care and that plan administration is more efficient. So, when you use a provider that is part of the Fund’s PPO network, not only do you save money and receive high-quality care, the Fund saves money too.
It’s easy to find an in-network provider for any medical service you need. Call 1-800-810-2583 or go to Anthem’s website www.anthem.com and follow these steps:
- Click on “Find a Doctor” on the right-hand side
- If you are a registered member, log in and providers in your plan’s network will be automatically included
- If you are not registered, you can search by:
- Your state and plan/network ( select the National PPO (BlueCard PPO))
- Search without selecting a plan/network (with this option you’ll have to confirm with the provider if they participate in the National PPO (BlueCard PPO) Network)
You can find examples of how much you save through in-network care in the fall issue of the Wire (your benefits newsletter), or on the medical benefits page.